Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Companion Planting: Lupine Russell's Hybrid Mixed Colors- Annuals

I just learned tonight by researching that you can companion plant these flowers with squash, cucumbers, spinach, or broccoli. Apparently these flowers can pull nitrogen from the air and supply/distribute nitrogen to these vegetables which are all heavy nitrogen feeders! Hmmm you learn something everyday! And to think I just picked up the package because they were pretty and I though bees would like them. I wanted to plant them near my squash, but hey I can plant with my squash. Hope the bees like them, so I can get a two for one deal: a nitrogen factory & bee attractor? Anyway, I picked up Poppy Oriental Red Perinnial, & Shasta Daisies (also a perinnial).

Gotte get some stuff done around here, so Savannah can go to parent's day out tomorrow. She loves going and playing with the other kids and doing crafts :D

I've also begun researching how to attract bees to my garden to help polinate my vegetables like squash. I know how to hand pollinate, but if nature can do the job let 'em do it!

The below information was copied and pasted from this website.
Credit to:

Attracting More Bees And Pollinators to Your Garden

Plant Lists for Bees

By , About.com Guide
http://gardening.about.com/od/attractingwildlife/a/Bee_Plants_2.htm

*Native plants should be your first choice to help our native bees.

Use a wildflower guide or contact local nurseries to find your local species.
  • Aster Aster
  • Black-eyed Susan Rudbeckia
  • Caltrop Kallstroemia
  • Creosote bush Larrea
  • Currant Ribes
  • Elder Sambucus
  • Goldenrod Solidago
  • Huckleberry Vaccinium
  • Joe-pye weed Eupatorium
  • Lupine Lupinus
  • Oregon grape Berberis
  • Penstemon Penstemon
  • Purple coneflower Echinacea
  • Rabbit-brush Chrysothamnus
  • Rhododendron Rhododendron
  • Sage Salvia
  • Scorpion-weed Phacelia
  • Snowberry Symphoricarpos
  • Stonecrop Sedum
  • Sunflower Helianthus
  • Wild buckwheat Eriogonum
  • Wild-lilac Ceanothus
  • Willow Salix


Garden plants for beesFlower beds in gardens, business campuses, and parks are great places to have bee-friendly plants. Native plants will create a beautiful garden but some people prefer "garden" plants. Many garden plants are varieties of native plants, so this list only includes plants from other countries--"exotic" plants--and should be used as a supplement to the native plant list. As with the native plants, this list is not exhaustive.
  • Zinnia Zinnia

Gotta get those Zinnias planted!


,ijustwannagrow

No comments:

Post a Comment