Saturday, July 9, 2011

Great organic harvest day at home


 Today's harvest! My purple hull peas that actually grew to harvest are starting to turn purple! There were four today. Again only regret, was not planting 4 times what I actually planted :(  To have sustained so much leaf damage from the chewing and to still get a harvest is thrilling. Yay to diatamaceous earth! Other than every ant in NC running over the plants I still am going to get a harvest! So thrilled. Whoops I said that already.
Close up of my prize possession! A little background toward all the excitement of this harvest. My husband's grandaddy is a "professional" farm. I'll call him Farmer Floyd! He was a tobacco farmer in TN. Now he grows what he calls a garden. Many of us would call it farming by the acres! LOL  His garden is small to him, but not so small. One of the family favorites? Yep you guessed it, Purple Hull Peas. Purple hull peas are also known as cow peas. Well I've never attempted to grow them because really I just could never find the seeds; however, I did find them this year. And since it was our family of 3's first garden together I decided Savannah needed to learn how to grow the family's favorite pea early on to make Great Grandpa proud. The most exciting part of this harvest will be to dry a pod and mail her Great Grandpa and Grandma our first Purple Hull Pea pod and peas ever for their professional reviews!

On a side note, I have to go and pick up a dehydrator tonight to start drying jalepeno peppers. I'm getting handfulls every few days and so I'll dry most to use during the winter time. Also those two zucchini's make a total of 3 now. I have about 8 more coming in really well. I'm tickled pink with my zucchini this year. I've 8 more squash plants coming in and am really hoping I still have enough really warm weather to get some of them? If not more green to throw in the compost pile :D
Moral of this story is don't give up too soon, because you may be shocked that you get to harvest with something new that you know little about!


,ijustwannagrow

No comments:

Post a Comment