Tuesday, January 8, 2013

WHOA what's in my pre-packaged taco seasoning?

Taco seasoning in this house is more popular than salt, so we use a lot of this seasoning! We love everything about the taco seasoning flavors! I've been pretty proud of myself fining a particular off brand taco seasoning that wasn't too bad for about $0.50 a package. Tonight I was opening up a new package and for some reason I looked down to see what makes this stuff so yummy?

Ingredient List: Chili pepper, salt, Maltodextrin, spice, onion powder, corn starch, yellow corn flour, contains less than 2% partially hydrogenated soybean oil, yeast extract, silicon dioxide (anticaking agent) natural flavor, wheat starch, whey, extractives of paprika, soy flour.

What? I actually know what chili pepper, salt, onion powder, corn starch, paprika, and soy flour are, but what in the WORLD is the rest of it? So I've got 5 packs left and I've decided I'm making my own in a large air tight jar and just spoon it out! I'm not going to reinvent the wheel at the moment, going to use this recipe from someone else that contains all identifiable ingredients and then may adjust things as we like them if we like a stronger flavor out of one of the ingredients. I guess another plus to making things yourself at home, because you can control the flavor combinations that your family likes and not just a cookie cutter package that everyone else is ripping open on a taco tuesday night at home!

So here's the link to the recipe I'm going to try:
http://www.food.com/recipe/taco-seasoning-197742

Serves 10- this recipe is from the link above I posted it's not mine. I take no credit.
1 tablespoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon black pepper

Directions:

1 In a small bowl, mix together chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, red pepper flakes, oregano, paprika, cumin, salt and pepper.
2 Store in an airtight container.


*This will also be a great educational opportunity for my 3yr old! Measuring!*

No comments:

Post a Comment