Saturday, June 25, 2011

Diggin in the dirt

Even though I've come in and out all morning I have gotten a lot done outside in the garden today! I appreciate my husband's help as a 2hr nap time for Savannah is not a lot of time in "free gardening time"!
I got my 1st cucumber trellis built mostly by myself exactly what I wanted! My husband did cut two of my 10ft furring strips in 1/2 that I still had on hand in the garage. And he helped start the first screw at the top of the trellising since I am truly THIS SHORT! LOL   I went ahead and tied jute twine around each of the four cucumber plants and tied to the trellis to start training them back to the trellis! I hope to see them reach the trellis in the next two weeks! My cucumbers are SO behind, but we're going to keep moving and holding onto that mustard seed strongly in hopes of a few cucumbers this season!



Also, Clint gave me some 2x4x8's for me to recycle to continue to buildup a 2.5x4x8 bed I had that I had been working on collecting enough materials to build it up, so that some of these squash plants can be put in there real soon in the next week or so. I also have a $0 gardening budget right now, so I happen to have the bottom of long box that Savannah's swing set came in that I was going to use in my compost bins; however, I'm now recycling it and it is now the start of another raised bed. How country is that? Raised bed gardening out of a cardboard box? I will not be stopped by $0 in the gardening budget! LOL   It will hold long enough until I can get other materials to make a more permanent side around the box!  Yes, I'll take pictures! And yes I will post!  :D



In the "in between times" I've been moving my squash seedlings into peat pots for future transplanting when they're older all morning! Out of desperation you already know that I through 15 squash seeds out yesterday in the all available open gardening space and the day prior I had started about 20 seeds in the kitchen window. Well the kitchen window seeds are now germinated and about 5 inches tall within 3 days of planting. Why so fast? Well they were germinated in a mix of bunny manure, vermiculite, coco coir, and worm castings! Pretty much every nutrient the seedlings could ever want to germinate  :D   A little overkill probably, but hey I was determined to get squash this year!  

Cow peas have blooms on them as my husband pointed out this morning! I really could have just cried out of joy when I ran over to see for myself! It 'tis true I have little white blooms on my cow peas despite almost being completely chewed up from the beetles! I'm glad I didn't pull them out a couple of weeks ago and went ahead and hung in there longer! I sure wanted to be able to send grandmother & grandaddy Barrow a small bag of dried cow peas from Savannah. I think that will really just tickle them to death that Savannah grew their favorite purple hull peas in Savannah's 1st garden!

Pole beans are already loving the trellis extension we installed last night! And there are more blooms today from those vines! Exciting! I really think I'll pee a little for sure if a green bean or actual cow pea pops out! I will be installing some bunny control fencing out of plastic poultry fencing today to help save the "possible bean & pea crop" from the bunnies!

If any new developments then I'll add to this post, but this is all for now folks. Inside eating an ice cold popsickle and then going back outside to shovel more compost!

Get out there and get dirty!

,ijustwannagrow

No comments:

Post a Comment