Thursday, June 30, 2011

Mad at my squash!

Oh pickles as my 2yr old says! My squash PLANTS are growing, but SLOWLY and still only male blossoms opening up. But that's okay because the "Plan B" squash seeds I planted last week have popped up and I still have time to get some squash in before the end of the season. I'm so mad at the first bed of disappointing squash plants I could just dig them up and toss them in the compost pile! Still borderline ready to "go there" with those squash plants for sure!

But I do have 7 HUGE healthy so far zucchini plants that are up to my mid thigh and has big beautiful male blossoms flowering out as of tonight! There were none opened up as of this AM, but on the way back from choir practice I ran by one more time and we're blossoming in the zucchini patch :D  The patty pan squashes are still growing rather well, so we'll see where they take us!  But I really would like to harvest some zucchini and squash darn it! I know how to grow them and have never been this long into a season without fruit to start harvesting. But I have faith the zucchini will NOT disappoint me! I'm pretty positive the squash that just popped up will give me squash, but that first bed that seems to be going no where I've decided an emergency soil test is in order and then I'm going to fertilize. If no progress after that I'm pulling them out and replenishing the soil and planting lettuce and swiss chard in that bed next!

I hate to be like that because I'm a leave no seedling or plant behind kinda gardener, but my veggie kindness is beginning to wear thin thank you very much!

Hope you are having more luck with your squash than I this year!


,ijustwannagrow

No comments:

Post a Comment