Saturday, January 19, 2013

On the grow again, just can't wait to get on the grow again...

Well we're growing again after our first 72 seed starts (lettuces/spinach/dino kale) went leggy on me on the kitchen table. I didn't expect a 24-48 hr germination time, so didn't have my grow lights up yet. Well they went leggy within 48-72 hrs racing toward the ceiling light. So pulled all of those and have replanted, BUT this time I've attempted to utilize a small deck size upright greenhouse.
Savannah helped daddy put it together. I told her this is her "very own" greenhouse just for her seeds! You would think I told her she had won the lottery!

Got it outside strapped to a wall and she's all zipped up! Condensation has already commenced! YAY!
Strapped to secure
Condensation

I'm wondering if I'll get some perky thyme and cilantro that have not completely died out yet. I would be over the moon THRILLED if I got either to perk back up! 



Now that I don't need the two rubberrmaid containers that I had flipped on top of each other to try and keep these growing I've moved them on top of a raised bed to utilize in small patches.

We spent the day here and there, but got a chance to run to Home Depot in which we stumbled upon a winter carnival day for the kids! Great accidental find! Savannah made a paint stick snowman that is going to be her snow gauge stick. She putted a put put round for the first time ever. And she got a blue balloon. A total score in the life of a 3 year old!
Snowman snow gauge. I have to take a sharpy and put the measurements on later for her before the next snow! Neat craft. Take like 5 minutes.

Anyway, so a friend of mine I met through another friend (both friends are farmers) saw how much I was running around trying my best to get a greenhouse, so I could start all of my own seeds. No joke we all KNOW how expensive a "GOOD QUALITY" greenhouse can be. Well I don't have the funds to drop on a good quality one, so this friend uploaded this link to facebook for me to watch:

http://bcove.me/avej7zv0


SO while I was at home depot pricing fencing/wood I decided to pick up some rubber maid containers to use as greenhouses and will also sit them in the stand up greenhouse when sprouted with the lid cracked open.



And of course grabbed some more tags, can never have too many of them, never know when you need one!
 
 
So needless to say, I ended my evening making 3 low tunnels from a partial leftover roll of rabbit fencing. I only lack putting the plastic on them tomorrow, then putting them to IMMEDIATE use!  
Perfect living room floor project while watching The Lorax with the family!

My favorite gardening buddy coaching me through our project
Took me about 2 hr to make all 3 of them, but it's because of using tiny hand wire cutters. This project would save your hands & wrists if you use a small set of bolt cutters like the video suggested. So fyi, you CAN do it with wire snips, but do yourself a favor and get small bolt cutters! All I have to do is put plastic on them and get to growing!


I will post pictures of my "low tunnel" project completion and how I used them in my raised beds! I'm so excited! Thank You Margo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 


I hope that from me learning and sharing it will help another family learn and start growing or start growing more of their food. I think most people think of summer gardening: tomatoes, cukes, squash, corn but most people don't grow all four seasons because they don't know how to grow through the year. I'm learning and just want to share my journey. Hope it helps!


ijustwannagrow

No comments:

Post a Comment